What is network security?
Network security simply means any activities intended to safeguard the integrity, reliability and safety of your network and data. Overall it is the surveillance, protection, containment, and deterrence of abuse against your assets and your company’s computer network. Effective network security targets a variety of threats and prevents them from entering or spreading in your network.
Typical network security threats include:
- Viruses, worms, and Trojan horses/viruses
- Spyware and adware
- Zero-day attacks, also referred to as zero-hour attacks
- Hacker attacks
- Denial of service attacks
- Data interception and theft
- Identity theft
Network security solutions
It helps to understand that no single solution protects you from various threats. You will need multiple layers or levels of security. If the first fails, others still withstand. Network security is accomplished through hardware and software. The software has to be consistently updated as well as managed to save you from growing threats. A network security system usually consists of many components. Ideally, all components work together which in turn will reduce maintenance and improve security.
Network security components
Network security components may be comprised of:
- Anti-virus and anti-spyware
- Firewall, to block unauthorized access to your network
- Intrusion prevention systems (IPS), to identify fast-spreading threats, similar to zero-day or zero-hour attacks
- Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), to provide secure remote access
Benefits of network security
Network security is essential for a business that has a computer and is connected to a network, regardless of whether big or small business
With network security in place, your company will experience numerous business benefits as listed below:
- Protection against business disruption caused by increased security threats like viruses, malware & spyware infections and hacker attacks
- Compliance with mandatory government and industry specific regulations
- Risk Mitigation helps protect your data and reduces the risk of legal action from data theft
- Improved security allows staff to work from any location
- Boosts client and consumer confidence that their sensitive information is protected
Just one network security breach can derail your business for weeks or months, destroy your business’ reputation and even result in legal action or bankruptcy.
To put it simply take the time to understand more about your network security options before an attack occurs.
The good news is, network security is more affordable than you might think and BusinessWorks offers a suite of network security solutions to meet the needs of small to medium sized businesses. Call 1300 732 810 to talk to a network support specialist today!